Tuesday, March 1, 2011

Amidst the Chaos and Confusion

We were asked in class to select and respond to a question that would develop our understanding of what it means for a novel to have "literary merit." I chose question five which asked for a quote from a novel that I find beautiful or poignant. In Alice's Adventures in Wonderland I vividly remember Alice's encounter with the caterpillar. This part of the story stayed with me because of the caterpillar's question for Alice: "Who are you?"

As a little girl I would watch the Disney version of Alice in Wonderland over and over again, but I never captured the deeper meaning of the caterpillar's question. Ten years later, as a senior in high school, I finally understand that before Alice could leave Wonderland she had to find who she really was. Amidst all of the chaos and confusion surrounding her, this was a pretty difficult task, but it was these things that encouraged her growth.

Senior year is filled with chaos, confusion, and wonder as we fill out college applications, study to keep up our grades in school, and for some of us, trying to balance a job as well. Ultimately, it is during all of this craziness that we discover who we are as a person and who we want to become.  Writing essay after essay about ourselves and how we relate to the literature we read, I have definitely learn new things about myself.

In my opinion, a novel that has literary merit makes the reader question themselves, their beliefs and understandings. It is after this process that personal development and growth is found. A novel that has literary merit adds substance and positively changes the life of its reader.

-Lauren B.

15 comments:

  1. Oooh, I like that statement -- a work of literary merit adds substance to the life of its reader. So true! I watched the Disney Alice again last week and it had been a very long time. I definitely saw it through new eyes. That is the fun of learning :) Thanks for the lovely post!

    ReplyDelete
  2. But did Alice really find out who she was through her Adventures in Wonderland? I feel like they may have been sort of inconclusive. You're right about the fact that this book has literary merit though.

    - Jake S.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lauren,
    I enjoyed reading your blog post. I liked when you stated "writing essay after essay about ourselves... I have definitely learned new things about my self" because it is so true. Especially this year, I have found my self writing a great deal about determination. As I grow up, I want to be known as a man that has a lot of determination and never gives up. I'm sure you also have an idea of who you want to become in the future. It is always something that we are going to have to keep working at though because in order to be someone worth being it takes a great deal of hard work. Keep up the good work on the posts.

    Joel B. (Dragonfist Bandits)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I loved this post! I never thought of that simple question having so much meaning. One must figure out who they are before they can move on to the next part of their life. If I don't know who I am, how can I make the best decisions for me, or do what's best for my life? Thank you for opening my eyes to the complexity of this seemingly simple question :)

    -Dayna M.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I definitely agree with your statement about literary merit! A novel has literary merit if it changes us in some way individually, or as a whole. I think literature is all about teaching us, and if the lesson is a powerful one, then it's of literary merit :)
    -Hillary D.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I really liked how you worded this post. I definitely grew a lot and learned a lot about myself through writing my personal statements this year as well. And you are right - all the books that I have read that have stayed with me are the ones that have actually made an impact on my life. Those are the books I consider to have literary merit (in my standards at least).

    ReplyDelete
  7. Indeed the last few years in high school dramatically changed who we are as a person. My pivotal point of change was my junior year, the year of betrayal (Freshman: Slow Introduction. Sophomore: Developement. Junior: Betrayal and Anger. Senior: Acceptance and Bond Fortifications)

    Your idea of merit is not my idea of literary merit, but my idea of MUSIC merit. Indeed, I believe songs that positively impact us command merit, and books whose story live in our soul had merit.

    --A. Chang

    ReplyDelete
  8. i loved reading this post. and it's true about how we see old movies in a new perspective. seeing disney's alice again would bring a whole new light to how it brings literary merit to a reader.
    - nikki l.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm told that by rereading a book you catch things that you didn't recognize the first time. If only I had the patience and will to do that like I do with movies.
    -Lauren B.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I see exactly what you mean Lauren! Re experienceing somthing, whether it be books or even movies, we see things that we never caught before and bring new meanings. I have re- read books that i have loved and have discovered things that i never even noticed before!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I agree with your re-experiencing a piece of artwork. It is always nice to come into it with a sense of confidence and an eye to pick out more hidden messages or themes. However, I don't think there are many themes involved in "Alice in Wonderland". I believe it is a book purely to boggle the mind and for kids to enjoy. Carroll was probably drugged out and didn't care what critics had to say.

    Cam T

    ReplyDelete
  12. Lauren,

    I agree! This year has allowed me to see literature in a different perspective. Literature is meant to make us think and reflect. I remember when I was reading Native Son, I felt so frustrated because I sympathized with Bigger even though he was committing atrocious crimes. The author did a phenomenal job in creating a piece that made me question my beliefs and what is right from wrong and, ultimately, necessary.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I totally agree with you Lauren before this class, I use to see only themes and main ideas in the novels. However this year I have learned that literature has endless connections with our own lives. We can find connections in Alice, Invisible Man, or any other novel. Thanks for sharing a thoughtful post.
    - Semarn K

    ReplyDelete
  14. I loved this! Who knew one simple question had a whole other meaning a deeper meaning than what we usually answer with. Senior year has been crazy, and it is true we are all finding ourselves, what it is we want to do with our lives, and those people you will keep in your life after this year comes to an end. Alice is just a young girl but was soul searching just like most of us have been this year.
    -Tamera

    ReplyDelete
  15. Totally agree with the idea that we begin to find out who we are and what we are meant to be throughout the journey of senior year. The comparison you drew upon with Alice in Wonderland makes a lot of sense. Being able to actually take away a sense of understanding and grow from it from a piece of literature is remarkable. Good job!
    -kelli Horvath

    ReplyDelete