In two months, the next four years of my life will be determined. Will I stay in California or go to the East Coast? Will I go to an Ivy League, small liberal arts school, the infamous USC, or my safety, Georgetown? Every time I think about it, I become frantic, but I am so excited to start a new chapter of my life. Presently, I am simply sick of the continuous interviews. I feel like I have talked more about myself in the past couple months than I have in my entire life. However, I am grateful to have met such interesting and supportive people along the way. And the interviews that I have done have felt more like conversations than anything else. After my first interview, I found that it is best to not rehearse a conversation but to act natural, and to not only ask questions about the school but to inquire about the interviewers' personal lives and how the school in question has affected them to the present. And most of all, to remember that though interviews are optional, if one chooses to have an interview, it will affect your decision. So while you shouldn't dwell on it too much, do act professional, confident and prepared!
Heather H.
Heather,
ReplyDeleteWhen I think about how much my life will change in the next few months, I too, wonder where it is that I will end up. Will I get into my dream school, will I move out of state, or will I end up at a school that I am merely "content" with. I pray that whatever decision I make will be the right one, and hope that the school that I choose will be a great fit for me. As I am sad that high school is coming to an end, I look forward to the next chapter of my life that currently awaits me.
Its almost time, its frightening to take on a new chapter in our lives, to explore the world in a new way, be by ourselves amongst the millions of strangers. Some of us will while others wont. I still wonder what will happen after HS, and your right we should be confident and prepared for what is ahead.
ReplyDelete-- J. Keagy
It is so hard to believe that we are about to graduate and go to college. It used to seem like this point in our lives would never arrive, but now we are making decisions that will determine the course of our future. We have worked so hard for our entire lives for this, it is strange to think that this routine we have been living for 12 years will soon be over and replaced with work and greater responsibilities and challenges to face. Although it is a frightening thought I know we have all worked very hard for a long time and I believe we are ready.
ReplyDeletemy favorite line from your post is "I've talked about myself more in the past few months than I have my entire life". This line is brilliant!!It's a pretty uncomfotable feeling to constantly have to brag about yourself to colleges about why they should accept you, and then have discussions with your parents and friends about why you WANT that college to accept you. Overall, I definitely think the applying to college process has helped a lot of students develop skills and learn things about themselves that they didn;t know before. Great post!!
ReplyDeleteWhile every senior is stressed out about college decisions and interviews (like yourself), I think you are completely right about acting naturally. After all, why would you want to go to a school that accepted you for something your not? And I don't know why you are sick of your interviews, you should be happy that you have gotten many interviews, it's a good sign that shows your on your way to acceptance letters rather than rejection letters! Good luck on your college selection
ReplyDeleteP.S. Not to roast you either, but if you really see Georgetown as your back up you might be in for a surprise this April.
~ Simon L.
Its interesting to think of what is going to happen, yet I think its exciting that everything is going to change. This is the turning point in life, where we define who we are and discover the path we are going to take! And as for the nerve wrecking proccess of admissions, it will make getting in that much more fufilling.
ReplyDeleteAndrew V
Oh man, I remember my first interview... It was quite embarrassing. After, I felt so embarrassed that I couldn't talk about myself. But I realized I should have just reacted naturally. I admire you for going through so many interviews and I wish you well on your selections! :)
ReplyDeleteBoa K.
I agree with Juice's post that this whole process has made us learn more about ourselves and where we want to go with our lives. Simon, I completely agree that when it comes to interviews being yourself is the best way to go. Being yourself is how you find people who are like minded and the school or place that is the best fit for you. Heather, I know you will have many options when choosing a college just remember to chose the one that is the best for you.
ReplyDelete-Lauren B.