Sugar Cookies
1 cup of butter
3/4 cup sugar
1 egg
2 tbsp milk
1 1/2 tsp vanilla
3 cup flour
1 tsp baking powder
Preheat oven to 350˚. Stir flour and baking powder together. Cream together butter and sugar. Stir in egg, milk, and vanilla. Blend in dry ingredients. Chill for about 1 hour. Roll out on flour surface and cut in desired shapes. Place on ungreased baking sheets. Sprinkle with colored sugars or cake decorations. Bake for 5 to 8 minutes or until golden brown.
The sound of the mixer, sprinkles spilled over the counter, and flour covers our aprons. It’s just another day spent at my grandma’s house baking our favorite treat-sugar cookies. From christmas trees to heart shaped, we baked cookies for every occasion and no occasion at all. As I think back to my childhood, I have vivd images of the beige walls, tiled counters, and bunny knick-knacks of the 60’s styled kitchen that I have so many fond memories of. Remembering the simple days when my sisters and I had no worries and little responsibilities, I realize how much I treasure those days. This recipe will always remind me of the all the days I spent at my grandma’s and the memories created there. As my sisters and I grow up and go our separate ways, we will always have those long afternoons in the kitchen to remind us of our loving, wonderful grandmother and our sisterhood that could never be destroyed.
I LOVE sugar cookies!!!! I also think it's really great that you have a recipe like this that connects you to your grandmother. I really think that you should bring enough for all of Elliots classes to enjoy:)
ReplyDelete-Christiana R.
I hope your cookies turned out well! It's really nice that just baking those cookies can bring back such awesome memories. Hopefully, later in your life, you can make the same cookies with your children and grandchildren and share the same bond as you did with your grandmother with your grandchildren, but the other way around.
ReplyDeleteDavid mao
it is really a special thing that you have between you and your grandmother. Baking always seems to bring love and warmth to a house. i am definitely going to try those sugar cookies...they sound delicous!
ReplyDelete-Brittany Delaney
I love this. I think it is so great that you have something so special like this to remember you grandmother by. We all have certain things that trigger memories, but it's even better when those memories go along with delicious food!
ReplyDelete-Audrey T.
This recipe makes me crave something sweet now. The extra aragraph at the bottom is also a great use of imagery (especially the first sentence). You allow us to beome a part of the scene being described.
ReplyDelete