Wednesday, May 11, 2011

Research Project (Alireza Behbahani)

"So Simon, how do you think the novel, The Shipping News, has literary merit?"

As our group (Sasan, Simon, Cameron and I) continued planning our video by taking deep analytical notes. The idea of writing a traditional essay always crossed my mind, but I wanted a change. Since change was the theme throughout both the books in the project, I thought it was ironic that change has been the the main theme within my life since I am transforming from a child to an adult . The project started out as an idea to better enhance the knowledge we received from the book. Not everyone had the same outlook on the novel, so different perspectives allowed us to better dissect the novel. The group assignment was a better alternative than a simple written essay or sugar coated graphical online presentation.

4 comments:

  1. I love you, you are cute.
    Anyway, I agree with you 100%, and not just cause I was in your group. I would have dreaded sitting at a computer, slaving away for hours trying to think of what punctuation and sentence structure I should use to make my 10 page essay sufficient for Mrs. Elliott. Due to our video project, I feel I know more about my book and even a great deal about yours without even reading it! I had so much fun and energy doing the film, that even after we were done with it, I wanted to discuss the books. The video project really did "stimulate in depth conversation".

    CamT

    ReplyDelete
  2. The video project sounded like a really good idea. It makes sense because you guys can talk to each other and analyze the book in greater depth. Within a group you guys can bounce ideas across each other and dissect the book on a deeper level. Also it sounds a lot easier than doing the project by yourself. Smart.

    Jehan T.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think every class should have at least one video project a year. We all spent time researching the novel we chose, but what made it even better was that we were able to discuss it on video. In an essay, a student cannot debate with himself, whereas in a video, we found connections in the novel we would not see by ourself. Essentially, it's like having a teacher there with you, but in student form.
    ~Simon L.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You worked together with other people for your research project? Woah! I wish I did that with someone. It would have been interesting to see the different viewpoints of other people who also read the book. I don't think anyone else in the class has read The Bonesetter's Daughter, lol.

    David Mao

    ReplyDelete